Sunday 2 March 2014

Bonded ADSL Part 2 - Sharedband Packages

Following on from my last post (part 1) you'll know that I intend to give Sharedband bonded ADSL a go for my home broadband. There are a few options available out there though and it's offered by some resellers as well as through Sharedband themselves. Below are some examples I've found.

Direct from Sharedband
The Professional Package has the following key points:

  • £10 per line per month
  • Static IP
  • Max of 250GB data transfer (if you go Business, it's 2000GB, but £20 per line p/m)
  • 14 day set-up assistance
  • 30 day money back promise
  • Initial set-up cost of £49
  • Cost per router £49 - £299 depending on model. For a home package they offer a Netgear DGN1000 at £49.
  • Shipping £10
  • 1 month rolling contract; all prices excl VAT
This is a well respected company, but from the prices it looks to be more aimed at business.
  • £50 per line per month
  • Static IP
  • £120 per month for unlimited data transfer (you can pay less for less data)
  • 1 month rolling contract; all prices excl VAT
Again another well known company, though I've only used them previously for hardware.
  • For a package that includes 2 lines for 1 year on a business quality service (up to 20Mbps) is £332.00.
  • Unlimited data transfer
  • Static IP
  • 14 day set-up assistance
  • 30 day money back promise
  • No set-up cost
  • Annual contract, pay up front.
  • Cost for 2 lines is £120 per year thereafter.
  • Add another line for £199 for the first year
So an interesting range of prices. As you can imagine I won't be going for Eclipse as that's well out of my budget. Broadbandbuyer is certainly the best value over a 12 month period (saving £75 over the year), but I'll need to be certain that the system works well for me within my 30 day period otherwise I'll lose a bit of cash. Direct to Sharedband needs the least initial outlay (£177) and has the added benefit that it's only a 1 month rolling contract, but the package is restricted to 250GB per month data transfer - something that's unlimited with the BBB deal. I've spoken with both companies and they are certainly very approachable in terms of getting help, which is always a plus.

Anyway I'll think on this a bit further over the next few weeks. The next milestone is getting the second line installed by BT OpenReach - this is planned for 10th March and is my second attempt to get the engineer out to do the work. Once the line is up and running I'm going to let it settle out for a couple of weeks before trying Sharedband out. All going well I should be giving it a go by the beginning of April.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Andy. Great to see that you are publishing a review of bonded ADSL as there is very little information out there about the real performance. I provide a broadband information blog, and I have reviewed ADSL bonding from Sharedband and, much more recently, Evolving Networks.

    http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/review-ADSL-bonded-evolving-networks-part1

    http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/review-sharedband-ADSL-bonding

    It will be interesting to see if you get similar results. Good luck with the testing!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Mark, I read your review of Sharedband and that's what got me started on this :-)
    Evolving Networks looks really good too, though looks to only be aimed at businesses ? I've emailed them anyway.
    It will be great to start trying out a bonded solution - the only obstacle is getting my second line installed ! Getting on for 4 months now that I've been waiting for that.
    Thanks for looking & I'll keep a check on your site too :-)
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't go with Evolving Networks... tried them, they cant bond domestic lines properly at all. sometimes had worse speeds on 3 bonded lines than on one line alone un-bonded - avoid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's been our experience as well - we are changing to Sharedband or BBB

      Delete