Friday 28 December 2012

TP-Link 5 Port 10/100 Network Switch

Well it's been ages since I've posted anything new on here, so I thought I'd better add something ! Bit of a lull though because I haven't had that much new stuff to write about of late :-(

Anyway, todays post is to provide user feedback on the TP-Link TL-SF1005D network switch. It's a long model number, but essentially what we have here is an inexpensive decent quality 10/100 ethernet switch.




I was looking for a simple and small network switch to fit behind my TV stand in the living room to allow me to connect a few devices to my home network (the room has a single CAT6A port behind the TV), and not all the devices have wifi built in. My usual port of call would be Netgear, however I was surprised at the cost of a simple fast network switch from them (retailing at around £15-£20), with eBay not being much cheaper (plus the postage costs on eBay tend to bring the price up to retail anyway).

I had a browse online and found that TP-Link had some good feedback, so decided to to give this a go. I bought the switch from Amazon (UK) and cost was around £7.50, and came with free delivery. On receiving the switch I'm impressed at the quality - the case may not be metal, but it's tough plastic, and pretty small (as you can see in the photos). Although I have mine hidden round the back of the TV stand, the white casing and simple LED's make it good enough to be in view too if necessary.

The item comes supplied boxed along with a power adapter. TP-Link also give you a 3 year warranty, which isn't bad at all (though there isn't much that can go wrong with these things). The switch is true plug and play, with all ports supporting auto-MDI/MDIX - so no need to worry about cross-over cables. For info the features & benefits that TP-Link note for this are:
  • Up to 200Mbps full duplex bandwidth;
  • Energy efficient technology, saves up to 60% power consumption (it only supplies full power to ports in use);
  • Plug & play;
  • Auto-MDX/MDIX;
  • IEEE 802.3x flow control;
  • Auto negotiation ports for smart integration of 10Mbps & 100Mbps equipment.
Conclusion
If you're looking for a cost effective and well finished network switch, then give this a go. I've had it installed for a few weeks now (powered up 24/7) and it hasn't missed a beat. The power supply doesn't get too hot, and the switch also stays cool (and is silent). I intend to try some other TP-Link items in the future (there are quite a few interesting products on their website) - I'll post any findings on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment